The Walk



It was a beautiful Saturday morning, the air was crisp and the sky was clear. We arrived at the stadium with a sense of reverence and respect for all of those suffering from this horrendous disease. We joined in the excitement of fellow supporters and celebrated blessings and life together. As we sloshed through wet grass and red grainy dirt we made our way to the family tent. My dad stood proudly next to my mom sitting on her scooter. She smiled and the unspoken “thank you” beamed from her eyes. Shirts were passed out, breakfast was devoured and coffee carefully sipped on. As family and friends trickled in- the conversations and reunions began to resonate deep within my soul. So much love and support overflowed from that tiny tent we were gathered under. We all rallied around mom as she began to lead us on the walk, each member taking their turn walking beside her, encouraging her and showering her with love. Like the true champion she is- she stood up from her scooter and graciously walked the last ¼ mile of the walk. As family and friends held her steady she walked across that finish line with a smile that beamed across the field. Emotions rang loud and fierce. With no detail untouched mom sat under the tent and “spoke” words of gratitude to each supporter. Even in the midst of such a bittersweet day, my mom managed to touch each life that came to support her.




For all those who walked, gave money, sent prayers… thank you. Thank you from the depths of my soul for not only loving on her but loving on the rest of us as well. Each one of you holds an incredibly special place in our hearts. Each day we are making memories… thank you for being a part of our story.









These pictures are just a glimpse of our day. My sister in law- MaryRose captured these beautifully. (for those who attended... an email will be sent with a link to the pictures- there are over 200!)

Comments

  1. You mom is so precious! Thanks for sharing the photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are great. I wish I had known you and your family were walking that day. My sister, brother, and I plus our friends were there to walk for my mom. I would have loved to meet your mom. My mom's name is Judy Dunn and she became friends with your mom through an ALS forum. They got to meet in September when my mom came to Arizona to meet my new baby girl. Your mom's friendship meant a lot to my mom and she was so excited to meet your mom in person. I am saying prayers for healing for your mom, and comfort for you all. Dana Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, thank you for reaching out. My mom shared that same excitement in meeting your mom. She was deeply touched by the friendship they shared. It would have been so great to connect at the walk- I wish it had been something that I thought of. I've prayed for your family as I know the past few weeks must have been hard. Thank you so much for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts